NASA will present coverage of the upcoming prelaunch and commence activities for the company’s first planetary protection take a look at mission, the Double Asteroid Redirection Take a look at (DART). The mission will aid make a choice if deliberately crashing a spacecraft into an asteroid is an ideal method to alternate its route. DART’s goal asteroid isn’t a risk to Earth.
DART is scheduled to commence no earlier than 1: 20 a.m. EST Wednesday, November 24 (10: 20 p.m. PST Tuesday, November 23) on a NASA app, and the company’s online page, with prelaunch and science briefings starting up Sunday, November 21.
The spacecraft is designed to hiss itself to impress an asteroid whereas touring at a dash of roughly 15,000 miles per hour (24,000 kilometers per hour). Its goal is the asteroid moonlet Dimorphos (Greek for “two forms”), which orbits a elevated asteroid named Didymos (Greek for “twin”). In fall 2022, DART will affect Dimorphos to alternate its orbit throughout the Didymos binary asteroid system. The Didymos system is the suitable candidate for DART as a result of it poses no proper affect risk to Earth, and scientists can measure the alternate in Dimorphos’ orbit with ground-primarily based mostly fully telescopes.
Paunchy mission coverage is as follows (all times Jap):
Sunday, November 21
4 p.m. – DART investigation and engineering briefing on NASA TV with the following individuals:
- Lori Glaze, director of NASA’s Science Mission Directorate’s Planetary Science Division at NASA Headquarters in Washington
- Tom Statler, DART program scientist, NASA’s Science Mission Directorate’s Planetary Science Division, NASA Headquarters
- Andy Rivkin, DART investigation team lead, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory
- Betsy Congdon, DART mechanical methods engineer, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory
- Simone Pirrotta, Gentle Italian Cubesat for Imaging of Asteroids (LICIACube) mission manager, Italian House Company
Monday, November 22
7 p.m. – DART prelaunch news convention on NASA TV with the following individuals:
- Thomas Zurbuchen, companion administrator, NASA’s Science Mission Directorate, NASA Headquarters
- Lindley Johnson, planetary protection officer, NASA’s Planetary Protection Coordination Office, NASA Headquarters
- Ed Reynolds, DART mission manager, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory
- Omar Baez, senior commence director, Inaugurate Services Program, NASA’s Kennedy House Heart in Florida
- Julianna Scheiman, director for civil satellite tv for pc missions, SpaceX
- Capt. Maximillian Stride, weather officer, House Inaugurate Delta 30, Vandenberg House Power Unsuitable
Tuesday, November 23
4 p.m. – NASA Science Reside, with the following individuals:
- Lori Glaze, director of NASA’s Science Mission Directorate’s Planetary Science Division at NASA Headquarters
- Nancy Chabot, DART coordination lead, John Hopkins College Applied Physics Laboratory
- Joshua Ramirez Rodriguez, telecommunications subsystem integration and take a look at lead engineer, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory
This match will stream are residing on the company’s Fb, Twitter and YouTube channels. Contributors of the public can participate are residing by submitting questions within the declare allotment of the streams, or by the exhaust of #AskNASA.
Wednesday, November 24
12: 30 a.m. – NASA TV are residing commence coverage begins.
Audio finest of the news conferences and commence coverage will doubtless be carried on the NASA “V” circuits, which would be accessed by dialing 321-867-1220, -1240, -1260 or -7135. On commence day, “mission audio,” the commence conductor’s countdown activities without NASA TV commence commentary, will doubtless be carried on 321-867-7135.
Planetary Defender Campaign
To enable the public to part within the pleasure of DART, NASA has launched the Planetary Defenders campaign. Contributors can acknowledge a snappy sequence of questions about planetary protection to accomplish their planetary defender certificate, which they can download or print, to boot as a digital badge to part on social media the exhaust of the hashtag #PlanetaryDefender.
Contributors of the public can register to abet the commence almost. NASA’s digital visitor program for DART includes curated commence resources, a leisurely-the-scenes witness on the mission, and the chance for a digital visitor commence passport imprint.
Digital NASA Social
As we finalize commence preparations, we’re mad to ask the public to affix our digital NASA Social for the #DARTMission on Fb. Shield updated on the most contemporary mission activities, work along side NASA and DART team individuals in proper-time, and scrutinize the commence of the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket that can enhance DART toward its destination.